Tuesday 17 April 2012

Final Reflection on Learning

Time flies, week13 is over and we are going prepare our finals! Blogging and reading others' blog posts with the same topic make me so obsessed on it and finally it comes to my final post for this English learning journey. It is so happy that I attended ES2007 class and met a humorous tutor and many energetic classmates, except for the fun stories heard from Brad, I did learn many things related to communications skills.

First thing I learned was active listening skills, as Joel mentioned in his post, we learned it because it is the basis of communication, how to react, how to show you are paying attention is essential. After that, we practiced our listening skills and other speaking skills in learning how to communicate inter-culturally and how to solve interpersonal conflicts, by doing the role playings and group discussions, we had the foundations of communication for us to move on. I enjoyed the class not only I learned how to listen and speak, but also got familiar with other useful skills for future working place, included business letter and email writing skills, interviewing and presenting skills, how to prepare resume and how to write proposal. During the peer teaching, mock interview, mock OP, final OP, I can feel that I was pushed in front of people, I need to improve and I realize that I am improving, by trying myself, by learning from my tutor and classmates, you guys are brilliant and drove me to pay more effort on it.

The most thing I learned and most part I have improved is the presentation skills. I was thinking presentation more depends on personal characters and language skills, however, during the class I also noticed that presentation is comprised with verbal and nonverbal skills, as well as slides making skills. I did not do well in my peer teaching, too crowded slides and  non well preparation which made me to refer the screen too often, forgot that contact with your audiences was also important, memorizing slides content also made me just "presenting" but not natural. I noticed that and did some changes to my final OP, I made my slides simple so audiences can more focus on me, I fully understood what I was going to say so I would not need to memorize and use tip sheets. I also paid more attention to my nonverbal part, appropriate gestures and movements, more eyes contacts, made it more like from your heart instead of only from your mind. The result seemed better and thank you all for giving me positive reflection and useful feedbacks.

In a nutshell, the experience in ES2007 class is fresh and comfortable, skills I learned in the class, communication with my teammates during the class and through the internet, all of these are shaping me to be a good communicator not only in work places but also in my daily lives for lifelong period.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you very much, Zihao, for making this final post, one that focuses so well on your presentation skills development this term. You're 100% correct: you were "pushed in front of people" during so many assignments in ES2007S. And as you explain, there are ways that a person can address weaknesses in presenting, such as taking care with nonverbals, slides and preparation. I suggest that you read Ariele's post. She's offered an insight related to the naturalness of delivery that I would say applies to your improved presenting as well.

    I appreciate all your effort this term, Zihao, and your fine camaraderie throughout the various projects.

    Best of luck on your future learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brad, I will miss you and the ES2007 class!! Have a nice day!:)

      Delete
  2. Hey Zihao!

    I think that you're a really awesome guy with the right attitude towards learning! You were the absolute first person I talked to in class! And since then you have been a nice person to talk to, joke with and work with.

    This course must have been one of the most challenging for you unlike all the engineering modules, because of its focus on English. Yet I've never seen you shy away from committing into this course and it's a shame that your efforts are not recognized enough! Why hasn't any student posted a comment on your wall!

    Throughout this course I really think you improved a lot, especially your delivery skills! From your peer teaching to your OP, you made a quantum leap from a person who kept his back to the class, to a person who shows the audience a smile. Also, I think that the consistent exposure to writing really improved your English as well! Practice makes perfect, don't stop writing!

    Actually, a faster way of improving your language is through reading and watching more TV! Personal certification of Titus Lim!

    I watched many English sitcoms and laughed a lot! Whenever you don't understand the joke, replay it and check the dictionary! It really helps! I implemented this treatment on my sister and her English suddenly improved from F to B+!

    Another thing that you could do is read! I recommend Roald Dahl because he writes very clearly!

    All in all, it has been a real pleasure getting to know you!

    Hope to see you around more often in engin!

    Cheers!
    Titus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Thank you Titus, the one I first I talk to in this class and lucky to be classmates with you!! I always remember your clear and humorous voice, trying to catch up with you:) Thanks your suggestions on improving English, I will put more effort on it as you said. See you around in engineering and good luck to your finals!

      Delete
  3. Hi Zihao!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the course :) I think many of us did! Thank you for being a great blog group member! I think you are the one who has developed the most in our class. I remember you were quite shy the first time I spoke to you. But after 13 weeks, you have become a very confident and charismatic speaker!

    As Titus mentioned in the post above, practice definitely makes perfect. If you're able to improve so much over the span of 13 weeks, imagine how great a speaker you can be if you practise even further! :)

    All the best in your upcoming exams and for all your future endeavors!


    Tanisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tanisha, thank you for comment! I sure you enjoy this class as me, I always remember your smile and passion, you most the most humorous Indian girl I met:) Yeah as you said, I want to be a good speaker and I know there are still mountains to climb, so lucky I have many role models in this class like you! And I know you will be very successful in communication field and Good luck to your finals!

      Delete
  4. Hi Zi hao,

    I have to agree with Titus that you have never shied away from speaking English and that’s amazing. I wonder how I would act if this class was in Chinese haha. I was truly impressed by your presentation skills beginning from the mock OP as you managed to deliver the content convincingly and rather professionally. Like I mentioned to Joel, I think you reminded me of the need to slow down in my delivery of ideas so that others can understand me better. Thank you! All the best for your finals and future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Computer Science
    Computer is an electronics device that can accept data and instructions as input, process the data to given instructions and shows results as output. Computer also has ability to store data and instructions. The physical and tangible parts of the computer are called “Hardware”. “Software’s” are intangible parts of the computer system.

    ReplyDelete