Wednesday 11 April 2012

Reflection on Oral Presentation


This presentation together with the mock oral presentation was a very special experience for me, totally different from the individual or group presentations I have done in other English modules. From the proposal ideas generating to slides making and presenting, we made it as a real and formal performance presentation to strangers who would potentially consider your proposal and make it realization. It provided us a good chance to learn how to communicate and present yourself in front of administrative people.

As a team of directNUS!

First I have to thank Ariele and Xi Min, who contributed a lot into this proposal and presentation, so lucky to be a part of the three people team! To my odd English writing and expressing, they gave me patience and helped me with my part, we discussed the ideas after class and through emails, shared happiness and anxiousness when we reached our goal or ambushed with problems. The day before that day, we finalize the concept of procedures in performance and rehearsed, we also came out with the idea that giving role identity cards to our audiences. To the real one, even though there were still some minor changes on slides, we all have confidence to make it well, because we are the last team to present and have learned some skills about presenting and dealing with slides from our peer teams. The result came well and we noticed both our improvements and things needed to be improved.

My dear teammates

Ariele have good slides making skills and responsible, audiences’ attention grabbed not only by her fluent expression, but also by her wonderful and interesting animationalized slides, everybody love it and enjoy it, great! She explained the functions and features of directNUS detailed but also very concise, more focused on the parts that audience interested in, appropriate gestures and eyes contact, as confident as a great presenter in working occasions. Haha, it good to be smiling more, I sure with more smiles and closed interaction with audience, you will be a great presenter!

For Xi Min, as usual, I supervised with her sophistication and confidence, well done Xi Min! As dear Brad mentioned, Xi Min have already very closed to a professional presenter, the tone, eyes contact and gestures can make plain slides lively. I usually wonder what if change to my mother tongue, can I be as good as Xi Min, I sure except that language, I still have many things to learn from her.  
For myself

I realized what Spiderman’s uncle said “the more power, the more responsibility”, so I decided to take the general introduction part and let my two powerful teammates to hold the important parts, haha. However, the first one to show up still challenge for me even though is not the first time. I give myself 7 out of 10 as I know that I was not as anxious as before, thanks to the mock interview and mock oral presentation sections. There were still some mistakes, like I wrongly recognized the slide, made the process pause, then I try to walk between two sides of the screen to relax myself, but it was too much, I ok with my tone and gestures but the speed still a bit slow. Anyway, there is a joyful presentation for me, and thanks to my classmates and dear Brad with their kind and sincere feedbacks, I sure I will improve more in the future!

9 comments:

  1. Hello ZH!

    For both the mock and actual presentations, I thought your variation of tone and eye contact was very well managed!

    However, I wish you had mention by whom/across which faculties was your research survey conducted. Other than this really minor content issue, during the actual OP, you exuded an appropriate level of confidence (not too much/too little), which made your part more convincing!

    Oh, another thing with regards to the actual OP; you referred to the screen for a good 10s when you were trying to explain the survey results. Maybe you could improve on this next time (:! The walking was alright and you made use of hand gestures to better convey ideas, which was good. Your articulation was very very clear! Compared to the peer teaching presentation. Well done!

    Final thing to note: Speak more audibly the next time. I still feel that your volume was quite low.

    Great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristyn! Thank you for your detailed comments! You did pointed out the content I miss about the survey, yeah, I should try to move I eyes away from the screen and more contact with the audience. So happy when you feel That I gain some improvement compares to the peer teaching!:) Good luck to your finals!

      Delete
  2. Hi Zi Hao!

    I was very impressed by how different your presentation is this time round compared to peer teaching. Generally, your exert a very professional image and was presenting to us, maintaining eye contact although you still did refer to the screen quite a bit. That could be an area to improve on but I guess it was probably a habit, practice makes perfect! :) I also felt that you were confident and clear of your content and ideas. Well done Zi Hao! :)

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacq! I always surprised with your confidence and your smiling face, as well as the convincing tone!! Thank you when you said I have area to improve and yeah, I will keep learning from amazing people like you guys! Good luck to your finals!!

      Delete
  3. Bill Gates, Steve Tasks, Larva Page, Seventeen Bring - totally these names command enormous respect not exactly in the Earth of Computer Science
    innovation, simply throughout the global corporate largely. This has produced a enormous demand for qualified pc scientists and it experts. While a pc technological innovation level is also a Computer Science
    selection among students, the Institution of Perform Research comments thank you job leads constitute better because applicants withdraw a bachelor's or hidden level. An Bachelor of Computer Science
    leave prepare professionals for great competency jobs in coding, system government, and data source control. Thither equal primarily four career ways of life that a individual can adopt with a pc Computer Science
    innovation level. computer science

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Zi Hao!

    I thought this presentation was a really big improvement from the peer teaching. I like how (1) you made the effort to look at the audience when presenting; (2) sounded relaxed; (3) kept your smile on. However, the speed that you spoke was a little too slow for me. Also, from the way you stand, your movement, and the position of your hands behind you, you remind me of a chinese poet reciting his poetries haha. But apart from that, I thought you did a good job! Your improvement is really commendable! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys! Thank you for your concise summary and suggestions which are very useful for me! I will careful about the speed of speaking and movement, try to be more relax and confident:) I also notice your presentation witch is calm and confident as Brad mentioned, always with smile in your face as usual, clear expressions and convincing tone, well done!! And, good luck to you finals!

      Delete
  5. Hi Zhi Hao,

    It is heartening to see how much you have improved since you first presented during the peer teaching. Your voice projection was better, you maintained good eye contact and you sounded more confident.

    Nonetheless, there are some things you should take note. Mid-way through your presentation, your attention shifted slightly to the screen again. Also, I noticed that there was a period of time where you put your hand (forgot which one) into your pocket. Initially I thought that exuded some sort of confidence but it might appear rude to some. Your pace was a tad slow and this might have made your presentation a little dull.

    All in all, I think you team presented well and the slides were exceptionally good. I am sure if you continue to work hard on your presentation skills, you will be a fine presenter in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zihao

    First and foremost, a very big round of applause for your wonderful presentation! As the others have mentioned, you really have shown a very big improvement from when I met you for the first time! I think our whole class is very proud of you :) In just 13 weeks you have become much more confident and articulate in your delivery. Good job!

    As a couple of people have mentioned, your pace was a bit slow. Personally however, I think that is actually ok! I understand that English is not your first language and you feel more comfortable speaking more slowly and enunciating your words.

    All in all I thought you presented very well! Great work!

    Tanisha

    ReplyDelete